Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Thunderstorm Update for I-35 Corridor - Austin to San Antonio

The thunderstorm complex that I blogged about earlier this evening continues to advance Southeast toward the I-35 corridor.


Here is the latest reflectivity (precipitation echo) image:



Note the thin blue line advancing Southeast of the complex, about halfway between the leading edge of the thunderstorms ad the I-35 corridor.  That is called a "gust front" and in this case indicates wind gusts of 40-50 mph blowing out ahead of the main thunderstorm complex.

This activity is currently on a track to impact the I-35 corridor from Austin to San Antonio over the next hour.  During the past 45 minutes, the hail signatures have decreased with this activity, but marble size hail is still possible, along with gusty winds, frequent lightning and very heavy rain.

No comments: